- The Ethics Review Committee (ERC) of the NIMH is a board specialized in reviewing scientific & ethical aspects of research protocols specific to mental health.
- The ERC of the NIMH has received approval from the Ministry of Health and also a member of the Forum for Ethics Review in Sri Lanka (FERCSL).
- The ERC is responsible to review research proposals submitted to them for ethical consideration, and to make suggestions on improvement of research protocol in keeping with current ethical standards.
Present Members of the ERC
- Prof. Harischandra Gambheera (Consultant Psychiatrist) – Chair
- Dr. Jayan Mendis (Consultant Psychiatrist, NIMH)
- Dr. D.P.D Wijesinghe (Consultant Psychiatrist)
- Dr. Kapila Ranasinghe (Consultant Psychiatrist, NIMH) – Secretary
- Dr. Sagarika Jayathilake (Consultant Physician, National Hospital of Sri Lanka)
- Dr. Shehan Williams (Consultant Psychiatrist, Head & Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Medicine, University of Kelaniya)
- Dr. Rasika Perera (Senior Lecturer Department of Biochemistry, University of Sri Jayawardanapura)
- Dr. Sajeewana Amarasinghe (Consultant Psychiatrist, Base Hospital – Tangalle)
- 8. Dr. Prathiba Mahanawa (Dean – Faculty of Law, Kothalwala Defence University)
- Dr. Dulani Samaranayake (Consultant Community Physician/ Senior Lecturer, Department of Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo)
- Dr. Dhananjaya Bandara (MO, Research & Training Units, NIMH) – Convener
- Mr. T. Suveendran (National Professional Officer, World Health Organization, Sri Lanka)
- Mr. D. Casie Chetty (Ex-diplomat & Executive Director of the South Asia Policy and Research Institute)
- Ms. Punya Perera (Senior Psychiatric Social Worker)
- The ERC will convene at 12 noon on the 3rd Thursday of each month
- All submissions for the monthly ERC should be submitted before the beginning of the same month.
- Each proposal is reviewed in-depth by 3 committee members and the other members review a summary of the proposal.
- The in-depth reviewers are selected depending on the speciality / area of the research project submitted.
- The ERC may accept, request re-submissions with modifications, or reject your research submissions. All decisions are final.
Before submitting your research proposal:
- Download our application form.
- Did you read our guidelines for submission?
- Did you prepare your research protocol according to our format?
- After preparing your documents please review with our checklist.
- If you are attached to the Ministry of Health you may also want to learn about research allowance and apply for it.