- The Ethics Review Committee (ERC) of the NIMH is a board specialized in reviewing scientific & ethical aspects of research protocols specific to mental health.
- The ERC of the NIMH has received approval from the Ministry of Health and also a member of the Forum for Ethics Review in Sri Lanka (FERCSL).
- The ERC is responsible to review research proposals submitted to them for ethical consideration, and to make suggestions on improvement of research protocol in keeping with current ethical standards.
Present Members of the ERC
- Dr. Kapila Ranasinghe (Consultant Psychiatrist, NIMH) – Chairman
- Dr Lushan Hettiarachchi – Secretary
- Dr Sajeewana Amarasinghe (Consultant Psychiatrist, NIMH)
- Prof. Shehan Williams (Consultant Psychiatrist, Head & Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Medicine, University of Kelaniya)
- Dr Pushpa Ranasinghe (Consultant Psychiatrist, NIMH)
- Dr Chathurie Suraweera (Consultant Psychiatrist, Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo)
- Dr. Dulani Samaranayake (Consultant Community Physician/ Senior Lecturer, Department of Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo)
- Dr Prabath Wickrama (Consultant Psychiatrist, DGH Chilaw)
- Dr Dulshika Amarasinghe Waas (Consultant Psychiatrist, CSTH Kalubowila)
- Dr Wajantha Kotelawala (Consultant Child & Adolescent Psychiatrist, NIMH)
- Dr Sudath Warnakulasuriya (Head, Faculty of Nursing, University of Colombo)
- Dr.Nimal D. Kasturiaratchi (Consultant Social Scientist)
- Dr. Dhananjaya Bandara (MO, Research & Training Units, NIMH) – Convener
- The ERC will convene at 12 noon on the 4th Thursday of each month
- All submissions for the monthly ERC should be submitted before the 15th of the same month.
- Each proposal is reviewed in-depth by 3 committee members and the other members review a summary of the proposal.
- The in-depth reviewers are selected depending on the speciality / area of the research project submitted.
- The ERC may accept, request re-submissions with modifications, or reject your research submissions. All decisions are final.
Before submitting your research proposal:
- Download our application form.
- Did you read our guidelines for submission?
- Did you prepare your research protocol according to our format?
- After preparing your documents please review with our checklist.
- If you are attached to the Ministry of Health you may also want to learn about research allowance and apply for it.